Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Another Day of Scraps!

After lunch (yesterday), I decided to go down and see if I could finish up the bag of scraps.


Decided I needed to cut the stuff I had ironed the day before, so got started on the first ironed "pile." I was able to empty the bag, and it felt really good to have all those pieces squared up.


I also washed and ironed my blocks of embroidery that I found (with some spots).


Then I had this "bright idea" (NOT!).  I pulled out my basket that hadn't been touched in a very long time. I usually put my strip in it and "run." So the bright idea this time was to trim the strips and put them back in the basket, neat and orderly.


I not only found strips, I found more scraps. This was not going to be a quick project, it was going to be another two day project! Oh, well, it needed to be done. Plus, it's easier to see what I have then trying to finger my way through this basket. Truth is, as I'm doing this, I'm actually feeling better about the quilt room. Not only is it organized, so are my scraps! I'm thinking of redoing my cabinet area as well, but that will be another day! Problem with me, is when I get an idea, I go for it. Then as I'm doing it, I either get tired of it or bored of it. But I do push through it. Once it's done I can say, "that was stupid," or "what was I thinking!," or even, "awesome! I did it!"


I found a few bigger strips of white on white, muslin and just white. So, I'm putting them in the bottom of the basket, knowing I have them when I need them. 


After trimming the strips I hung them off a ruler I had. After awhile, I couldn't tell if I was putting them with the right sizes! lol That got interesting. I actually went back and put them where they needed to be. The really short strips I was cutting into squares, and the longer ones, I hung. I found I was actually keeping some short ones in strips. Guess I got tired of cutting squares. You would not believe how may of these are 1 1/2" strips! I must be out of my mind!


With the two days of cutting squares, this is what I have for the smaller ones. My 1 1/2" and 2" squares are the top right with two stacks each. When I get more, I'll move them into their own boxes. REMEMBER, I'm not done yet.

After going through half the basket, I put what was left in the basket into the bag I emptied.


Does this look familiar?! Guess who has another day to go! ugh. But I'm feeling good about doing all this. Can't blame Karen for a wonderful idea, just need to get moving and get it done. I think I put about 2 1/2 hours in yesterday, so can't complain too much. I'm actually getting stuff done and making quilting easier for myself. I did find that the more I organize the more I want to get down there and quilt or even work on a block. I've been looking at the fabrics I have for the "guilt wall" and may get back to that quilt this coming year.


This bag (temporary) has my bigger squares and triangles that I didn't have room for or storage for. So, I'm using the over sized bag that I got at one of my quilt groups. I will work on finding a box or another bag for them to go in. Not quiet there yet. Still want to decide what I need to do.

Cleaning my quilt room has been long over due! I REALLY cleaned my quilt room close to 10 years ago. I had taken everything I had, DUMPED it in the middle of the quilt room, and started putting stuff away. Fabric was on the bottom, but as I picked, I pulled out the big fabrics, folded them and put them in the cabinet. As I got closer (4 days worth) to the bottom, I started throwing things out. I was so sick of seeking all that stuff. I put old projects I won't touch again in bags and marked them to sell at the garage sale. I put stuff in boxes and I was thinking yesterday that I may even have a box outside in the garage that is full of scraps! I remember putting them in the box and telling Patrick to put them away for awhile. I didn't want to see them. Now I need to ask him if I still have it out there. I might have gone through them already, but doubt it! ugh


I took all the strips from the ruler and I folded them, then placed them in the basket. Hard to believe it was a full basket and not it looks like this. lol - I added the white fabrics under this after taking the photo. I will be adding the rest of the strips soon, when I go through that bag.

Today Patrick wants to go shopping for groceries, a movie, and then we have our neighbors coming over. So, not sure how much I'll get done today, if any.


When I was putting things away and headed to my bedroom, I saw this beautiful sunset, and ran to get my camera as well as going to the deck. It was almost gone, and the view from the deck isn't as pretty as the one from our bedroom!


I love the colors of sunrise and sunsets around here.

I was able to cut out the red flower piece for my bell block. I also fixed the stems and put them under the bell wood piece. Now I can applique the flower and get it done. Should be exciting when I get that one done as well.

Chances are I will do more cutting and trimming tomorrow, before heading to my parents for supper. We usually play games and then eat, play more games and then come home. I'm hoping I can get down there before we go.

Today, I'm going to wish you ALL a VERY Happy NEW YEAR! May you have the best year yet!

Prayer and best wishes to all of you for the coming year! and my you be Happy Quilting the whole year!!!

No comments:

Woke In Pain

This morning, I woke in pain. Actually, had pain all night. So, I pretty much didn't do much all day.   I think the pain is from moving ...