Sunday, December 29, 2013

Must Be In The Mood For Organizing!

Yesterday I read Karen's blog on how she was organizing her space. Got me to thinking I needed to go through my scraps too. So, I pulled out the "small" bag of scraps.


This is the small bag I have around for those pieces of fabric I don't know what to do with. I started about an hour before the Seahawk game, and quit in the 3rd quarter of the game. GO SEAHAWKS!


As I was cutting fabrics (yeah, I know, can't stick to one thing at a time!), I saw these boxes. Luckily the top box was empty, and I put the smaller squares I cut in it. The next box, I didn't open, but can tell you it's a hand pieced quilt as well. I may just get rid of that one and start another one and make sure I have the background for it. I have the pieces cut, but I'm thinking the background fabric isn't around.

As for the last box, not sure, and really don't want to find out today! That will be a guess later.


While I was going through the bag, I found a few triangle pieces that I'm thinking where cut when I was dong bias strips. I've decided to keep them that way, who knows, I may need a corner piece one day. I also found a few border prints and some muslin that are stripped. Decided to keep them handy, don't know if I'll need them or not, but will have them if I do. If I get tired of them, I may just give them to someone else.


Would you believe I couldn't throw this out?! So, I'll use it for a leave or two in one of my applique quilts. I know one I can put them in, so hopefully this piece won't last long.


This is what I got done in that time frame. (Got bored cutting!) I didn't want to do the 1 1/2" square blocks, but then I found some fabrics I just couldn't throw away, and guess what?!? I cut 1 1/2" squares! ugh  So, most of my squares are less than 4"squares. That tells you how many small pieces in that bag! Looking at my table, I have 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", some strips, and in front are the few pieces that range from 4" to 6 1/2" squares. As you can see, not many of those. At this point I got bored, but guess what!?


Still have more to go! I at least got a little over half done. Who knows, maybe I'll do some more tonight or tomorrow. I would like to see the end of this bag. Even Patrick was surprised to see me working on all this! lol I need to go get a few more boxes to put the squares in, and I need to learn to cut my scraps when I'm done doing what I needed the fabric for. The best part about some of these scraps is that I can use them for applique as well as piecing.


Last night I finished this block. It was nice to have one of the two done. I started work on the other block. I was thinking I need to buy more black fabric (since my mother used all my black I had for this), and will take it to the Retreat our quilt shop has in May. I can hopefully finish it there. This has been a long time in coming.

So, in organizing this quilt room (AGAIN), I'm thinking of buying some kind of box that will fit in my cabinets. I need something that will keep my fat quarters stacked nicely. I also need to pull out the ones that I have used up half of and cut them into squares. I'm also thinking of getting more "gift" boxes like the one in the stack above. I can keep my squares in those. I know they are not cheap, so will try and get some on sale if I can find them. See thru would be nice, but I think if the boxes are well done, then they will stack up nice.

I'm having fun organizing, but my mind wants to do so much, that when I got started I seemed to be asking myself, "What in the world are you thinking?!!  You must be crazy! This is too much crap!" I did find it awesome this morning, when I came down here to do my cutting. The room was not overwhelming! It felt so good to come down here and not worry about where to move stuff so I could do some cutting.

Okay, taking a break, and then hope to be (SOON) Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Got A Little Carried Away

 This morning I felt so good. It was the first night since we got back that I have had a good nights sleep. It was good for me. Even though ...