Thursday, January 16, 2014

Busy, Busy, Busy.

I'm keeping busy lately. I've been spending the day downstairs in my quilt room and getting work done. Even I'm surprised at how much I want to go down there and work on stuff.


I started out with these pieces done today. I started working on the next Step to the Mystery Quilt (MQ).


I started cutting the chevron pieces that I needed. I had to cut 48 pieces for both the right and reversed sides. I was able to cut them out of strips. I didn't like the pattern that was given to us to cut the chevrons, WAY TOO MANY squares to cut. I liked the strip method and it was way less waste of fabric then the way the had on the Step.


The more I worked on it, I realized I missed a step in Step 1. I didn't make the other 12 blocks that I was supposed to. So, I cut the strips and got the blocks done. I wasn't too happy to find out I wasted fabric with the stripping when I only needed to cut 2 - 2" pieces off the strip. I could have stripped the fabric with about 12" each and it wouldn't have wasted so much fabric. Hopefully I can use the strip in something else in this quilt.


I then had to cut the 2 3/8" blocks, but I decided to do them as 2 1/2" blocks and then do the triangles. That worked out a lot better for me. I'm always 1/8 to 1/4" off when it comes to squaring things up - and it's not to the good! No matter how much extra I cut, I'm always that much off.


The bottom block is the one I missed in the first step. I'm having to cut the squares to size and the chevrons to 3 1/2" x 2".  It's pretty so far, and I can't wait to see how this turns out. That's the whole point in a mystery. This is the first time in a very long time, that I've been interested in doing any kind of piecing. I liked what some of the others were doing, and since I had the fabric, figured it would be fun to do!


Think Charlie was hoping I'd work on my quilt today. I'm going to do that in about an hour for awhile.


I finally got to this point where I can continue around without having to change the hoop. I should get this pretty close to being done if not done tonight. If not, I'm going to take it to quilting tomorrow, as I really do want to get this quilt done.

I've been chatting with my mother, asking her if she would like to do an applique mystery quilt or BOM with me. I may post it in the members only page on Facebook for TAS, or I may do it on here. I think it would be fun to design one. Mom and I designed a quilt for the Quilt Guild here in the area one year. I think we can do an awesome one. We want to do something different then a traditional 12 block quilt. Maybe do bigger blocks. We're still in the thinking process, but I think we can do this.

With Charlie on my arm, I'm have to give up the typing. So, I hope everyone is doing well and Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Still Thinking Positive

 This morning it was raining. Patrick decided not to go golfing. I don't blame him. I was able to get up and shower with little help tod...