Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Working on a Quilt!

I know, I know, another project I don't need. But this is a mystery quilt that is fun! I decided today to go ahead and do the PIECED Mystery Quilt that is going on in the "Just for Quilters" group on Facebook. I know, right, I have enough stuff to do, but for some reason I was in the mood for this one.


First things first. Cutting fabric into strips.


That wasn't that hard. It actually went better than I remembered! lol


Next I had to cut the strips into pieces. This was easy enough. Boring after a while, but something I can do! I was doing really well. I was surprised at how well I was cutting the fabrics.


Here are some of the pieces that I did get done. Ticks me off though. No matter how many times I cut it right, measure it after sewing the strips, I'm ALWAYS 1/4" off. Not to the good - but short!! I can cut it bigger, sew it up and I'm still off. I move my needle over so that the seam allowance is "smaller" and yet, I'm still off. Now I remember why I hate to use the sewing machine. Now I know why I like to hand piece instead of machine piecing.


At least I can use the 1/4" foot and move the needle to where it works. My quilt may be a couple inches off when it's done, but I'm not going to let it bother me. No one will know but me (and you - since your reading this). 


After a few hours of doing this, I had to rip out three blocks because I put them in the wrong direction. At that point I decided it was time to call it a day. 


So, my table is not cleaned up, but then I can go back and work on it tomorrow and not worry about anything getting in the way. I'll clean it up when I'm done with what I need to do. 


Last night I was able to get to this point with the quilting. I'm about a row or two away from having all that needs to be quilted in the hoop area and then I can just keep going without taking the hoop apart and putting it back together.  Charlie is enjoying my quilt right now. 

The good news is, I didn't play games much on the computer today. I actually was having fun working on this quilt. I'm not sure how big it will be, but I'm having fun working on it. 

So, tonight I'm going to be Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Still Thinking Positive

 This morning it was raining. Patrick decided not to go golfing. I don't blame him. I was able to get up and shower with little help tod...