Monday, March 31, 2014

A Show of My Mother's Projects - Quilting

Today I haven't had much time for quilting - even though I would love to quilt right now.

After my physical therapy, mom asked me to take some pictures of her projects to put on Facebook. So, I figured that would be even better to show you the work my mother does as well as what I do.


This is a quilt that she used to teach a class for applique. I will look and see who made the pattern and post it when I get the chance. This was not designed by my mother, but it was all hand done by her.


A closer photo of this quilt so you can see her quilting.

This next set of blocks is from P3 Designs, and is the Baltimore Christmas blocks. The funny story behind this, is that I bought the BOM to work on. When a friend asked to see the blocks, mom decided she wanted to do ONE block from the patterns.


This is the block she liked and wanted to make. I told her she could do ONE block and no more. Well, that didn't happen. She got the patterns from our friend who was giving them to mom to give back to me. Guess who DIDN'T get the patterns?!?

So, for the past year she has been working on this quilt. She was showing off the patterns, and now more people are working on this quilt! She told me I couldn't get my patterns back till she was done.


The more she worked on it, the more she finished the blocks. Now all the blocks are done and she's getting ready to put them all together.











As you can tell, she still has her basting threads on the blocks.


This is the end result. She's done an awesome job on this quilt!

The best part - I took her Baltimore Liberty BOM, and I'm working on that quilt. She's not getting them till I'm done! lol - Problem is it, I don't work as fast as mom does. lol So, she may not get them for a few years. lol


Now she's working on P3 Designs quilt blocks that is the new BOM. She started this in January, and she's got February's block ready to go. Since she's going to visit my brother and his family in Oklahoma, she has it all ready to go.

So, now you can see what I have to live up to. My mother, Shirley A. Taylor, is a teacher, judge, and at least a 4th generation quilter. She has finished a couple quilt tops that her great grandmother made in the 1800's. She has also taught me that quilts are made to be used. So, I have no problem with doing a quilt and putting it on a bed to be used. My mother has made 8 whole cloth quilts that she is making for each member of the family. She has 9 grandchildren, with 4 of those quilts going to them. My son has received one. My husband and I have received one. We do keep those as special quilts.


That being said, Charlie wasn't happy with me last night when I wouldn't let her come on my lap! Attitude is her middle name.

I would like to thank all of you that have sent me a message thanking me for showing my "problems" and how I work them out. I believe in showing everyone that there are problems in quilting that we all deal with. Hiding them won't help anyone. I believe in sharing and showing how easy it can be when you step back and fix any problems you have.

Now that I have shared my family "history" with you, I hope you will be inspired to be Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Visiting With Friends

Today I was up with Patrick. He headed to golfing and I wanted on Gerilyn to pick me up. We had our embroidery meeting today.  We arrived on...