Sunday, March 9, 2014

Memories of Past Quilts

While I was looking for a good photo to post on my title page, I found a lot of photos that I had forgotten about. I love taking photos, and one of the things I have done from the beginning of quilting, is take a photo of all my projects. One one or two have slipped by me without a photo.

So, I thought it would be nice to go down "memory lane." The photo on my title page is one I took with both my children, Katt and Phil. Phil is the tall one in the back. I remember asking Phil if he would stand behind the quilt. When the quit "sagged" Katt came in and pulled it so I could get the full photo. She loved having her picture taken back then. The quilt was later given to a friend of mine from High School.


This quilt was done around the same time. the quilt above was pieced. I can't remember what happened to this quilt. I may have given it away for a baby gift. OR it's hiding somewhere in the house.


This was my third quilt. I took a long time with this one. We've used it on our bed for years, and now the boarders are falling apart. Quilting has come loose. I may have to cut off the boarders and rebind it. Not sure what I will do with this one yet.


This quilt was made from block I won from the Council, Id block contest. My block didn't win, I was just the lucky "draw." So I put the quilt block together and quilted them each differently.  This quilt is in my daughters position.


This quilt was my own design. I made this for The Embroider's Guild's master craftsman program. This was step 3 or 4. I worked up to Step 4, but then the three projects I sent in for judging did not pass. I was ticked, as one of the projects didn't pass for what I felt were "personal" reasons. The judge disagreed with the colors I used. When a judged judges on what colors a person uses, that in my judgement is a "personal reason," and should not be part of the judging process.


This quilt was a "cheaters cloth" from Daisy Kingdom - oh, how I wish they were still going! Anyway, this quilt was quilted for a friend of ours. Jan 1993 I made this for her baby boy, James Bonner, Jr.


This is a quilt that I had my daughter's class make. It was done in crayons and I took the time to sew the blocks together. I think we tied this quilt. I also believe this quilt was given back to the teacher to remember her class. If memory serves me right, it was Katt's 3rd grade class.


This quilt is very heavy, and was done by Mrs. Hogan in the 1930-1940's. I quilted it, and used it on our bed for years. It is starting to fall apart, so I have since put it away.


This is the "Road to Oklahoma" quilt that I did by hand. It was my second quilt, because I met and married my husband in OK. He was the one that got me into finishing my first quilt - the Double Wedding Ring. This quilt is also in my daughter's care. She told me she liked this one and wanted me to make another one like it. It was easy, so I may do that later.


This is the photo I may change to later on. I'm trying to decide which one I want to have on my blog. The quilt they are on, is the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt that my mother made, and I quilted. I was asking my husband yesterday, what ever happened to that quilt, as it is in good condition, and was in the cedar chest for summers. I haven't seen the quilt for a long time, and have a feeling this is one of the quilts my daughter took with her when she left. Katt went through the house and took the quilts she wanted, leaving very little behind. I didn't realize it till I went to visit her and found my missing quilts. Patrick is not happy she took so many quilts. lol - He told me to tell her she better return some of the quilts, before she gets any new ones.


This wall hanging was given to my husbands brother and sister-in-law. I made that back in 1995. I was giving a class demo on quilting for a friend's 4th grade class.


This is the "Superbowl Soup" quilt that I made about 15 years ago, on Superbowl Sunday, in a quilt class. This is the one I'm going to be quilting tomorrow morning. It's not very big, and it's very colorful. Each bowl of soup has the fabric of things you put in a soup, like lobsters, veggies, etc.


This quilt is still just a top. I made this at Pacific Rim's first Retreat. A friend of mine and her daughter went with me. Nancy Chong and Margaret Miller both taught the class. One side worked on the applique and the other side worked on the piecing. I had so much fun appliqueing this quilt! The board reds are hand dyed fabrics that Nancy Chong's sister dyed.


Not as good a photo but one that helps see more.


I'm still trying to decide how to quilt this one. The pieces are small and there are a ton of seams. I'm not good enough to do it on the sewing machine or long arm. I may as a dear friend to do it for me, but I'm not there yet. The fabrics I used where greens that I picked up over the years. I wanted to do a green quilt to see how it would turn out. Since the applique flowers had leaves, I could not use green on them. I didn't want them to blend in with the background and since I like purples and bright colors, that's what I did for this quilt. It's down in my pile of quilts to be quilted.

That is only a part of "memory lane" for me. I have more quilts. I did most of them before 2000. I took a long break away from quilting and crafts, which I just realized was a hard time. I'm back to working on my crafts, and that is why I decided that I needed to finish project I started so long ago. If you look at one of the class room photo, there is a block in the background. That block is the Enigma Star that I just finish the last 2 blocks for. That quilt top will be put together in May when I go on Retreat. If that photo was done in 1995, then making that quilt took a good 20 years. UGH

More quilts will be coming, and I'll be able to add the Hawaiian quilt to my finished stack. That quilt WILL NOT be going to Katt. lol

NOTE: Katt turned 25 years old this week, and my son Phillip is going to be 29 years old. That should tell you how long ago this has been.

I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane, and I hope this inspires you to be Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Visiting With Friends

Today I was up with Patrick. He headed to golfing and I wanted on Gerilyn to pick me up. We had our embroidery meeting today.  We arrived on...