Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Started A Day Early!

Woke up several times last night and each time I thought about putting the butterfly quilt together! Just what I needed, another project to work on! Actually, it's a project that is under my UFO's. After winning two games of cribbage I came back and spent an hour with Charlie. She needed attention since she didn't get it while Patrick was gone.

Around 10 am I went downstairs and was so surprised to find I had to turn the fireplace on! It was chilly down there. Closed up the door that went into the other rooms.


First things first. I needed to put all my retreat stuff away to get to what I wanted to do. I put my sewing machine out and hooked it up.


I decided I better put my CD in to listen to the book I never did find out what happened at the end. Last year I listened to it on the way to Pullman to see Katt. On the way back, Patrick and I rode back together and I never did get to hear the end of it. So, I started it over and listened to the first CD.


As I cleaned my mess, I found the fabric that I bought at retreat. I still can't believe these 4 fat quarters cost me over $12. I remember when fat quarters were cheaper to buy then the fabric by yards. Now they seem to be a little more. One doesn't get a good deal with fat quarters these days. Think I will buy a half yard and cut them in half. That way I can give half to someone or even use as gifts. No more purchasing fat quarter!


I pulled out the butterfly blocks and cut them all down to 12 1/2". I wanted to go a little bigger but couldn't because one of the blocks was 12 3/4". I was hoping for 13".


They all were cut down.

One of the blocks didn't have the antennas. I put it aside so I could do the embroidery on the butterfly. 


I had my pattern out. I cut the blue fabrics to do the window frame on the butterflies. 


This was what I came up with. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do them all this way or change the colors. I think I will stay with these colors. I had to resew one corner because it wasn't laying right. I was surprised at how well I did. Mitered corners are usually not my best work. I love the look of mitered corners, but they seem to come "hard" for me. I liked the way these worked out. 


After I did that, I embroidered the antennas on. The pencil mark that the person who made this block is still there. I hope it washes out after all this time. These blocks are a good 15 years old. I'm excited about putting this all together. I'm just not sure it will be as big as I would like, but at this point it really doesn't matter. I have the applique piece that I want to put in the middle of the quilt. I will put the top together and applique the center on after. 


I worked on my Brazilian embroidery. I have a lot of it done. I need to put some more french knots on it as well as the green at the bottom of the flowers on the top.Then I should be pretty close to being done till our next meeting. We can do the one flower in the middle. I may practice before I try to do it. Sometimes I just do it without worrying about practice. 

Tomorrow I take Patrick to the Portland airport. Mom and dad just called and wanted me to show up tomorrow. Not sure why, but I'll go have supper with them tomorrow night. Not sure if we will go out or not. I told them I'd think about it. I'm almost thinking it's better if we go out. 

Tonight is bowling. I'm excited about getting back to bowling after a week of no bowling. Then again, I'm looking forward to taking time off from bowling. 

Okay, I'm still working on my UFO's. I'm going to try and finish up the eagle for Donna. Poor gal has a lot of QOV quilts to put together. She got a great response for her blocks. I hope she will be Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Trying To Do More

This morning Patrick headed to golfing and I got laundry going. I was in pain this morning, and all through the day. I just let it be. It...