Tuesday, December 12, 2017

I Actually Sewed Today! -

Yep, that's what I said - I sewed today!

First thing this morning went to visit with Cherrill. After all that was done, I came home and heated up the room downstairs.

I had an idea of what I wanted to do. I cut the fabric's for the project bags. I didn't use a pattern - not for me. I can't seem to understand patterns and it's easier for me to do things as I go. So, I wanted to use the vinyl for the insides. I wanted to make Katt a couple bags, and decided I would practice on her piece. It's the fabric that she made her pants out of when she was in 5th grade.


I could not believe how HARD it was to make this one! The vinyl would stick together when I tried to turn it. It was really hard to work with. But now, in thinking, I would use the vinyl but not do the "french seam" on the inside. That would make it easier to work with. I may do that yet.


So, the second bag I used the fabric as a lining instead. I hope she like them.

Now that I figured out what I wanted and how to do it, I was ready to use the fabrics I bought the other day. I cut the fabric so that I could get the most out of the fabrics. I cut 2 small bags and 1 big bag out of both fabrics.


About that time I got a text from Patrick saying he wanted fresh bread instead of grilled cheese for supper tonight with soup. So, I went up and got the bread going.


It turned out great! Fresh bread for supper was awesome!

While that was going on, I worked on getting the zippers going.


I ordered the zipper parts on Amazon. There are 26 or 46 zipper pieces from a 10 yard strip of zip. I will say, it took me a good 15 mins to try and figure out how to do this!! I thought I had it a couple times and it wouldn't zip up. I thought at times that the zipper part was broke, but then as I got it going, I realized how to do it. It went a LOT faster once I figured it out. No instructions, so I'm feeling pretty good that I could figure it out!


The zipper wasn't fun at first, but now I've got it! I thought I took a photo of the two I did finish, and I have 4 more to go. I like the way they turned out. Patrick came home and said he liked the vinyl in the bags better. Now that I'm sitting here, I'll probably go ahead and try to do 2 with the vinyl. I just won't do the french seam on them. I actually like the look of the french seam better, but I'll do what I can.


I made some cinnamon twists for dessert. Called the neighbor and told him to come get some bread. I told him I had a surprise for him too. I was going to give him one but Patrick didn't want to give them up! He's looking at the one for breakfast! Who knows I may get to it first! lol

So, to my surprise, I didn't have too much trouble doing the bags. OH, YEA, I did break 2 needles in the process! I didn't get tense, I just replaced them. If it had been any other day, I would have put the new needle in and walked away! I was in the mood to make these, and they are quick as well as easy.
At first I thought it would be quicker than it was, but then realized it was me, and nothing is that quick! I'm not looking forward to the shows on tonight, so may go back down and work on more. I have decided I'll put 2 together for gifts. Katt's gift will go out with her stocking after I pick it up on Thursday. I'll wrap the others up and have them ready for the BE party Monday. I'll keep one set aside for the quilt group party on the 28th. Hopefully I'll be able to go.

Life is good, I'm not freaking out about sewing yet. How long this will last is another question. Hopefully I get them done before I get bored of sewing. I was thinking - yea, I know, not smart! - about using my embroidery to make some for the bowlers next year at Christmas time. We'll see how far that gets me! I'm still getting closer to being Happy Stitching/Happy Quilting!


No comments:

Another Blot On Life

 I haven't been able (or forgot) to do my blog. I am having to be in the hospital for a few more days.  On March 7th, my daughter's ...