All Day At The Hospital

 At 6 am, Patrick woke me up and said he had to go to Urgent Care. I got up, showered, dressed and headed out the door. We were at Urgent Care around 7:15 am. They took him in and in about 10 minutes called me to the back room where he was. They checked him out and wanted a CT scan with contrast. Which he's not supposed to have, but it was the only way they could find what the problem was.  While we waited for the results, they contacted Providence St. Pete's in Olympia (5 mins away) and had him transported to the hospital. 

I went to the hospital and asked about him. They gave me a room number (shocker!) and told me how to get there. Once I was in there, they worked on Patrick. Everything was going fast even though by this time it was 1 pm. The surgeon that we talked to 2 years ago, was the surgeon he had this time as well. I was relieved to see her. She's one of the best in Olympia area. She worked fast to get a room ready for surgery. She told Patrick he has an obstruction (bowel) and they would give him a bag. If all goes well and in 6 months if things are looking good, then they will remove it at his request. That's another surgery. 

At about 3:15 pm they took him into surgery. Then I went up to get something to eat at the cafeteria. Even though it was open, there wasn't much to eat because they didn't have any hot food out there. I ended up pay $15 for my lunch. 

I waited in the waiting room, listening to my book on my phone. I'm glad I took my ear buds because it made the time go fast. Since it was Saturday, there wasn't anyone around. Plus, the surgery was an emergency. I went to the front desk asking about his "number" but she couldn't find it and there wasn't anyone to tell me. The doctor called me around 6:20 pm. Surgery went well and he's doing better. He lost a lot and they are working to get his body mass back up. He looks like a WWII survivor that was in a prison camp. He told her he didn't want to lose any more weight since he was down 15 lbs and at 130 lbs. I bet he's around 120-125 now. They are going to work on getting his muscle strength and nutrition up. That's probably why it will be a week to 2 weeks before he comes home. I had to wait a couple hours for him to be moved to his room. 

I went up at 8:10 pm to see him. He looked so much better! It's amazing how different that surgery made him! Now he just needs to gain weight. There is a possibility they will put him in a PT facility for a bit, but that all depends on how he does with the recover. I think he's feeling a lot better. No more stomach pain. To think the obstruction could have killed him! It was the fistula that caused the problem it seems. Now that's fixed and he can move on. Just to think, he's on 6 years of living with this cancer. I just hope this helps for a while. He doesn't need any more trouble. He was talking about quitting golfing. I hope he doesn't. That actually had him looking forward to something. 

I finally made it home at 9:10 pm. Now I'm tired and plan to sleep. I need to send a couple messages to my gaming friends to let them know I'm not available for a while. 

I did do some crocheting on the leg warmers I started a while back. But I really didn't feel like being Happy Stitching/Happy Quilting!



Comments