Saturday, April 6, 2013

Back from Retreat - The Applique Society's Retreat at Seabeck, WA

Since I didn't take my laptop with me, not knowing if they had WiFi, I decided I would give you a day to day "enjoyment" of the Retreat at Seabeck. I even took more photos then I needed but I do love to take pictures.

April 1, 2013 - Woke early to take a shower and get moving. Had everything packed the day before. Then when I was getting the suit cases together, realized I needed to take a bigger suit case to fit everything in one instead of carrying 4 different bags. Oh, well. Had my clothes in a small suit case, brought my quilt in a duffel (sp) bag, my supplies in the black carrying case, and last was my camera case. Patrick dropped me off at Ethel's apartment at 7:10 am. I was surprised to find Ann and Beverly already there. We then waited on mom to come with the van. She arrived between 7:30-7:45 am. We all loaded up and mom gave me the keys to drive.

We arrived at Seabeck around 10 am. We were one of the first groups to arrive. Bev wanted to stop in Silverton before going on to Seabeck, but the rest just wanted to get to Seabeck. We waited about an hour to get our room number and keys. In the meantime I pulled out a puzzle from the library and got it started in the main hall.

We drew numbers to see who was going in which class room - odds in one, evens in another. Out of the 5 of us, I picked an odd and was in a separate room then the others. That was okay with me, as I really felt I needed to be in another class other then the one mom was in. We were given our rooms, Bev having been given the room in the main hall. We took her luggage (very heavy) upstairs and down the hall. She found out she had to share a bath, and no locks to her room. We then went to Loretta to get the room changed. After getting her in the "other" new building, we took her luggage back downstairs and delivered one to the new room, planning to take the other after lunch. In the main time Ethel, Ann, and I were in the first new lodge, and took the car over to our lodging.

We parked on the other side of the building. Unloading was interesting but faster than I expected. We were on the second floor. This is the view from our room and by the stairs. The lounge area was really nice and comfortable. 

This was Ethel and Ann's bathroom. 

This was our bathroom area. The sink and mirror was in the back as you see, then to the left was the bath. (I didn't get a photo) but it had the toilet and the shower with plenty of room to turn around. 

This was our sleeping area and the desk was a nice thing to have. I believe I actually used it a couple times while staying there. This room was big enough to fit another bed without getting cramped. 

After getting settled in we walked back to the main lodge for lunch. At that time mom and Ethel decided they would not walk around the retreat but take the care every time they needed to go somewhere. 

This is mom, Doris, and Virginia working on some of the "extra" pieces to the puzzle. The two in the back (one is Loretta) were working on the frame. The rest were in the sitting area to the left, waiting for the bell to ring to get into the cafeteria for lunch. 

We all picked a chair and was enjoying each other's company. 

After lunch, our group went to Material Girls quilt show in Silverton, as that was not on our list to go to this year. We bought a few things for class, and of course a few things for ourselves. After Supper we then went to the above quilt show- Quilted Strait in Port Gamble, WA. 

Talk about a quilt show! The owner gave each of us a packet of fabric pieces, as well as cookies. We put our names in for a drawing - at the end 3 people won either a kit, fabric or a wool fabric roll. I bought a beautiful quilt pattern (I know, add another to the list). I also bought some needles that I've been looking for a long time. While the rest were buying and looking, I went around the area and took photos. I even walked up he hill to the cemetery and took a few photos. 

April 2, 2013 - Didn't get much sleep as mom snored all night off and on. Played games on my phone to get me tired enough to sleep. Once I go to sleep - heard mom get up once or twice and then sleep till 4 am when I woke with a headache. Took migraine pills and went back to sleep but woke again at 5:30 am. Decided at 6 am to just get up and take a shower. After I took a shower, mom was up so shut off the alarm. 

Ethel and Ann knocked on the door and said they were ready to go to breakfast. Mom, Ethel and Ann drove down to the cafeteria and I walked over. I decided I would walk the whole time at the retreat, even though at times mom wanted me to drive. After breakfast we head up to our class rooms. I was in the "bell tower" or "main meeting room" while mom and the others were in the "glass room" for their class. We were told not to go visit or bother them as Nancy Chong was giving a "MYSTERY" quilt class. While they were over there, the other class and I, were working on learning back basting from Joan (forgive me, can't remember her name) who came from Canada. When I get her name I will post it. We learned how to mark the backs, 

 and get started. Here are photos of her teaching, so you can see who I'm referring to. 

She was showing us how to add to her design, pushy willows. She had two was of putting them on, and this one the method she used on this quilt. She does beautiful work and has beautiful patterns. Well worth taking a class from her. 

These are some of her applique work using the back basting technique. 

We had lunch and after lunch we then went into drawing - which Jaydee taught the class. We worked on different ways to draw simple patterns that work for Baltimore Album quilts as well as modern and traditional. I would have loved to have had both classes all day long!  After both classes we went to supper where I met up with the rest of my group. We ate and talked about what I did, but they wouldn't tell me what they did in the mystery class. I did ask what colors they picked and I asked if it was something they would finish. I even asked if they were happy with what they were doing. Couldn't get anymore out of them. 

After supper we went up to the "meeting room" and worked on the different projects. Ethel couldn't do anything as she didn't bring anything to work on and she couldn't work on the mystery class because she wasn't allowed to show her work. We worked in the meeting house up to about 8:30pm then everyone decided it was time to leave and get some sleep. 

I walked back and played on my phone for awhile. I got to were I could play a couple hours before going to bed. 

April 3, 2013 - Slept better than the night before, but still waking up from time to time. I froze a couple times, because I thought mom turned the heat up and found she hadn't touched the heat. So, our room was set at 48 degrees. I turned it up at night so I could get back to sleep. 

After breakfast, we head back up to the class rooms, this time I went to the "glass house" and they went to the "meeting room." While in Nancy Chongs class, we were told to pick our fabrics. After everyone got their package of fabrics and supplies, we were then told we had a separate mystery from the one they did the day before. We would not know what the mystery they had till later that night at the big "reveal." So we worked on our mystery, which I fell in love with. I actually got my first block done. There were about three of us that finished the first block in our class room. I fell in love with the combinations that Nancy had set up for us. She did the kits wonderfully and I love the fact that I didn't have to decide what colors to put together, she already gave me that choice. I like blue, so I picked the blue fabric. 

After supper that night we did the big "Reveal" of both mystery quilts. -

My block is the top left hand side one. It was done in blue and a light blue print. I plan on finishing it! It's so pretty. I also need to make copies for the others, as they liked mine better. lol Plus they are supposed to share too. 

This is Nancy showing the way it looks when you put 2 of them together. 

 Here we are showing the block, I'm the 2nd from the left - blue sweater - who hates to get her picture taken. 

This was the first "Reveal" of the block the first group made. They turned out wonderful as well. I may get this pattern from mom later, as I'm not in a hurry to add another project to my pile. 

After show and tell (yes I took photos, but I'm only half way there, so won't show other's quilts), we drew for prizes. Mom really wanted the chicken that she stole from someone. Another gal stole from her. It was so funny! And we had a blast.

April 4, 2013 - Another day! This day was a day for us to work on our projects. So, I worked on my birds, and the went walking some more. I went out to try and find the cemetery not far from where we were staying but since I was on my own and out in the woods, decided to come back to the camp. Got a lot done, enjoyed chatting with the others. Nancy then showed her fabrics she had showed our group earlier. I fell in love with one of them. Told dad about it the night before and he asked how much it cost. I told time it was over $100 and I could drull over it. He told my mother to get it for me, if I wanted it. I was surprised when mom told me to get it, as it was a gift from dad. I couldn't pass that up, and I don't like taking money - any money - from my parents. So, when he asked what I want for my Birthday - I will tell him he already took care of that. 

After lunch, we all went to Pacific Fabrics about 30 mins away. I know it wasn't Bremerton, but not sure which town we were in. Believe it or not, I only got a crochet hook and felt. Mom and I put our stuff with Ethel so we could get the 25% off they had  - if you spend $25 - and by doing that, Ethel was over $25. Kathy was a sweet heart and gave me her Pacific Fabric bag they gave out when buying stuff. Afterwards we head back to Seabeck and worked on our projects. 

Stopping at the store across the street for drinks. 

April 4, 2013

Time to leave and head home. So before breakfast we all got our photo-op. I took the photos and then had to go get an employee to come take one with me in it. 

Of course we missed a few and it looks like a lot of them were from Canada. So, I took this to add to the other photo. 

On the way home I had 3 backseat drivers, and I tell you, next year I may just go by myself in my own car so I don't have to put up with one person telling me one thing and the other telling me something else. Then getting in trouble because I listened to the wrong person. UGH

All in all this was a great trip and I even signed up for next year. This is well worth going to. Nancy Chong will be doing Celtic designs and Patty Murphy will be doing the molas. It should be interesting and fun. 

After getting in the door by noon, mom and I had lunch before she left. I then got laundry going, put my stuff away, and sat down to do applique. I did not touch my laptop till this morning. We bowled last night, and I bowled a 177, 176, and 177. So, since my average is 176 in this league, I can't complain. 

I was wonderful to be back home. Now I can get back to being Happy Quilting......

BE Meeting And Cross Stitching

This morning was our BFF (BE meeting) day. I was all ready to go. Called Cherry to see if she was going. She was waiting on the guys that do...