Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Another day...

Since posting my information yesterday, I actually got some quilting done. Charlie (my 18 yr old cat), thinks the quilt belongs to her, so it is hard to do much with Charlie around. She is a sweetie though, she is cleaning herself as I type (right next to me on the desk).

I had forgotten how quick hand quilting can go. I have been working on my Hawaiian quilt that I design some 7 or 8 years ago. That with the help of Nancy Chong. So, if you ever get the chance, take a class from her. I put in a good 3 hours quilting time and am getting closer to being able to do the center of the quilt. I had to go around the center design before I could quilt the inside section. That wasn't as hard as I thought, since I made sure the quilt is tight each time I quilted one section. The center motif has four leaves and four flowers coming out of the center. Once the flowers are done, I will be able to do the center by going around in echo stitching. During my breaks I took  a few pictures of some of my projects as well as Charlie on my quilt that I'm quilting. 

The butterfly quilt that I am also hand quilting is on a frame downstairs. We usually go downstairs to watch football on Sundays, so that is when I go and quilt on that quilt. I could go down anytime I want, but it's more fun to have people around when I quilt. 

My "workshop" is downstairs and I have plenty of room to move around it. I have been pulling out unfinished projects that were started over 10 years ago. I was thinking of two of them the other day. One is appliqued butterflies I put on a bed sheet. I started that one when my daughter was a year old. She is now 22 years old. My, how time flies. The other quilt is an old pattern that is hand pieced. Similar to the wedding ring circles, but has star points there instead. I guess you could say it's a cross between a wedding ring and a snowball. When I figure out the name, I'll post it. 

It has been fun and exciting at time to go down in my quilt room and pull stuff out. About 6 months ago, I decided to clean up my shop and get organized for when I had time to quilt. I sold a few fabrics at a garage sale, and I even throw a few things out. I gave books away or sold them on eBay. My room was clean and organized when I finished. 

The interesting part, was that I had forgotten about so many of the projects I started, that it was hard to remember how to finish a few. Take the Dizzy Geese pattern. I started that in a quilt retreat over 7 years ago. Had most of the fabrics cut, just needed to sew it together. UGH. No such luck, it wasn't that easy! It took two weeks to figure out what I did to what I needed to do. When I did figure it out, it took another two weeks to piece. I went to my mothers thinking I didn't have enough material for the border work and was working on a different inside border. Mom figured we had just the right amount of fabric, so for 2 full days we pieced geese for the inside border. After all that work, I don't think I will ever do another one of those quilts again. But in the quilting world you can't say NEVER because it always comes back to bite you! lol

So, what are my plans for today? Who knows! I've been on the computer since I got up. Seems to be hooked on free games on Facebook. I do want to get more quilting done, as I'm hooked on the quilting part. I need to get a few things together for Thursday and Fridays applique groups. In a couple weeks, it will be Thursday one week and Friday the next, but in the mean time they are both this week. 

I'm finding my quilting stitches are big, and I'm trying to get them smaller. The more I work on it the more I'll remember how to get them smaller. 

Okay, need to do something constructive today. Laundry, TV, and quilting all at the same time. I'll let you know how it goes, because when I PLAN something - rarely does the plan work. 

No comments:

An Early Start

This morning, Patrick was up at 6 am. I followed around 6:25 am. lol We were ready and out the door by 7 am to get to Patrick's oncology...