Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Scraps and more scraps!

Since Sunday, I have been working on my scraps, every chance I get.


I've pulled out the scraps (again) and started rolling or cutting the fabrics that I have. I've also been trying to get Sharon's block done. For the first time in years, I have been having one heck of a time figuring out the fabrics for her block! I wouldn't have thought it would be so hard, but I have put the stem in 3 times!! I sewed the first one down. Then took it out! Rip, by rip, by rip.


This was my first "idea" that I hated. So, it came out. I left the red bud, and 3 of those 5 leaves. Now I'm going to take out a couple more leaves, because they don't go with the one I decided on. She wanted civil war/1930's type fabrics. I have a hard time with that. I'm not a small print person, and 1970's fabric can work too. I'm just not too thrilled working on this one. She didn't want bright fabrics, and that is more my style.


On Tuesday I was able to get this much done on rolling fabrics, and cutting blocks. The fabric in front is my 6 1/2" squares. I'm now in the area that has big pieces of fabric that can't be rolled but can be cut into bigger squares. So, the good news is that I'm able to get more larger size squares cut up. Amazing at how much fabric I can cut up instead of waiting to roll.


As you can see, I have larger cuts of squares.

My boxes are getting more squares in them, and I've even added some of the bigger squares into the boxes. I'm going to need to figure out what to do with all these squares, but that's fun for another time. Right now it's just getting organized that counts. I'm not even done with the first shelve and have two more to go after this one. I'm going to have to order more boards, and I'm okay with that. I'm going to clear out the larger shelves in my cabinets, so that I can put the boards in there. That way I won't have to double them up in the smaller shelves. But then, if I need to double up the boards with fabrics, I will.

I found myself questioning which fabrics to cut up, then realized, if I put them into squares of the different sizes, I can pull out the fabric piece I need to do the applique work. I actually did that with the greens for Sharon's block. I pulled out a couple of the 3" squares and was able to get more than one done.

At night, (when we don't have to go bowling), I quilt on the Hawaiian quilt. I have been getting more done on it.


I'm getting around it pretty good.


Once I get around the border, I can start binding it on the next pass. One of my problems with quilting on my lap is my Charlie.


I have the foot rest up when I'm quilting, and she loves to sit in my lap!


And there are times I have a little "baby" in my lap that doesn't want to move! She had her paw up on my shoulder, but since I did a "self photo" I had to move her arm.

When time allows, I do go and get my scraps organized. One of these days, I will get it done, but at times it gets overwhelming. I can do about 2 hours of work down there, then I have to call it quits. I'm not patient with cutting and sewing, so after awhile when it gets to the point I want to quit, I do. Don't want to get to the point that I won't go down again. I need to do this and it's so much fun to see what fabrics I forgot I had. There are fabrics I found that I just have a hard time to cut up, but I'm to the point that I need to do this to get it where I need to be.

Don't miss out on my photo's of the snow that was here on Sunday, I have a "double" post today.

Hope you enjoy the "view" and will be Happy Quilting!

No comments:

An Early Start

This morning, Patrick was up at 6 am. I followed around 6:25 am. lol We were ready and out the door by 7 am to get to Patrick's oncology...