Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Getting Ready For the Fair

Today I didn't have to walk, as Ruth is gone for the day. I did go to Art's to play cribbage and he skunked me twice. He told me he is moving at the end of the month. He will be moving over by my parents, and he has asked me to continue taking him to the eye doctor and casino. I told him I would do that.

After that, came home and sent a message to Donna to see if her quilts were ready. She said she still needed to put the label on her quilt and wash them. I told her I would do that, so I headed over to her house. I also brought the panel I wanted to make for Patrick's Uncle (story below). She's under construction at her place. Poor gal is without water! But as we said, being part of the military we know how to get around that. Had a great visit with her! I came home with some fabric of hers, and her quilts. Then went to Sister's Quilt Shop to get some lighter fabric for the quilt.

I borrowed her two bolts of red and blue. They will come in handy with the quilt.

Okay, now for the story on Patrick's Uncle. Patrick's Uncle had a stroke about a month ago. He's not doing good and they moved him into a home. He is a Veteran of the Vietnam War. I wanted to get him a quilt from QOV. I requested a quilt on the 7th, and was contacted on the 10th. I received an email saying there is a waiting list for MI and unless there were extenuation circumstances, it would be awhile. I told her what circumstances I had. She is helping and contacting WI to see if they could help. The UP of MI is about 10 hrs away from her and the QOV group. I'm hoping the contact with WI will help. Since there is a waiting list, I decided I would do a quilt for him to get it there a little faster. I wanted something that would be quick and easy. She then contacted me that they are working on getting a quilt up there. I told her I would be working on a quilt, and if they get one faster, I can give this one to another vet here in WA.

Donna gave me this fabric for the background fabric. I love it! It's perfect for the quilt.

I wanted to use this fabric but it didn't go with the panel. So, I'm keeping this for another time.

This is a start so far. I still have another border or two to do. I ended up taking this one out and doing it again - one border piece. See if you can figure out the difference.

I will put a red and/or blue border. Still trying to decide what I want to to I will leave enough room for plenty of quilting. My next step is to request a quilter. It may take a while to get this done for Patrick's Uncle but I'm hoping they can get him one before that. I would love to give him one of my quilts, so I'm not too worried. I've been in contact with my sister in law in MI. She's keeping me advised on how he's doing. He's not doing real well, so I'm praying he gets a quilt before he meets our maker.

I went to Donna's and Sister before 11 am today. It actually took me 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot at Sister's because of the Farmers Market in town. I could not believe how long it took to get out of downtown. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry! I spent the afternoon working on the border. I didn't really measure it, so I'm happy with the way it came out. For someone that doesn't like to sew on the machine, I did pretty good. Now I just need to square it up and do the next border.

I am going to take time and get Donna's label on her quilt. Still not back to appliqueing much, but will get back there yet! Having lunch with Jeannie Austin on Friday and excited to see her again! I'm having a blast.

Family will be here tomorrow so not sure if I will have much done tomorrow. I can hope! Happy Quilting!

Spent The Afternoon Volunteering With Mom

This morning I was up and getting supper ready for the crock pot. I knew I wouldn't be home till after 5:30 pm and really didn't wan...