Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Day of Marking!

Yesterday was one of those days that I couldn't get any quilt related projects done.

Today, thankfully was another day! After doing my daily walking, and loosing two games of cribbage, I decided today was going to be a quilt day!


So, what is it about a quilt room that we pile everything up on the table we need to work on? I went downstairs and took a deep breath, it was time to clear up some of my mess. - And yes, it's a mess! I did get a few more fabrics on the boards. I know you getting tired of seeing all my fabrics, so saved you having to see another pile of fabric that I rolled. I would never have believed I had that much fabric! Guess what - I DO!! I'm still cutting the smaller pieces, putting the greens in a box, and working on rolling my fabrics. I have almost as much in solids as I have in prints. UGH!!


I received the "tape" for the 3/8" bias tape. So today, I decided to iron the strips and get ready to do the Celtic block for Deanna B.


It was easier than I thought it would be. I did three strips. I have them ready to do on the block, and have a feeling I many need to do another strip, but I'll wait and see how this goes. It's a different technique than I'm used to, but I'm always ready and willing to try something new.


After all that, I pulled out the Carolina Lilly block that is part of the two quilts on my "guilt" wall. So, it was time to finish this block since it has only been 9 months since I did the other one!


I had to take out the bottom green from these blocks because one of the "base" greens was too small and why I even sewed them on, I have no clue. I looked for the same green but didn't have any. I then replaced all three bases with a different green that is in the same color. I decided I didn't want to have to replace the stem, so it's staying with the green I started with. I now need to do the applique on the leaves.


I have a feeling it's a little smaller than it's supposed to be.


At this point, I don't really worry about it, as the blocks are all different sizes and I just need to be able to get them all together in one quilt. This is my quilt - Katt's is the orange one.


This is the next blog in the BOM that mom and her late friend, Vicki Parypa designed. This is block #7, I believe. All the ones before this one are on my "guilt wall."

At this point - 2 hours later - I decide I need to get some applique blocks ready, as well as getting this block ready to applique.


Before I get started on marking the blocks, I cleaned up my table - now lets see how long this stays half way cleaned up!


I decided I wanted a brown basket for the pattern. So, I made three or four "ropes" of 1/4" bias for the baskets. I'm going to have to weave them and then applique them down. Should be fun, but it's going to be a tacking day, when I do. The two blocks in this photo are the two blocks that I need to make. The brown background is Katt's quilt and the light green is my quilt. It's been interesting doing two at the same time.


I then heading upstairs to the dinning room ad started marking my blocks. I marked the corners of Katt's quilt so I could get the embroidery and applique work done. I'm getting a little excited, as I'm going to be doing a lot of embroidery again!


I then put the basket pattern up and marked both quilt blocks for this. Then after finishing marking those two blocks, I marked the Celtic block as well as another Baltimore Liberty quilt block. All in al I have 5 or 6 blocks all marked and ready to go. I'm planning on doing a few of them with the "back basting" method. I find I like that method over most of them . I don't care if it's "perfect" because I just want to be in the right place. Not that I've got a "policeman" here telling me I'm doing things wrong.

It interesting to me how some people think there are rules and regulations to quilting. Quilting is what each person - you and I - want to do. It's not what rules you follow. I quit entering my quilts in shows because a couple of my things were judged and I was "disqualified" or passed over because the judge felt I used the wrong colors. That is a personal choice and not what I should have been judged on. There are also judges out there that think as long as it's a friends quilt, then it deserves the highest award. I'm not too found of judges (even though my mother is a judge), because they have become "personal" judges and not "technical" judges.

After spending a good six hours on quilt blocks, I feel I've come a long way. I was thrilled that I didn't spend as much time on the computer as I normally do, and I'm inspired to get this stuff done! The more quilt blocks I can work on, the sooner I can get them done!

Tonight is going to be a great night, sitting here quilting on my Hawaiian, and then I can call it a great day! So, today I can say - I've been Happy Quilting!!


I am a QUILTER - What is your SUPERPOWER?


No comments:

Enjoyed Time With Mom

This morning, I was up and playing my game by 6:30 am. I slept really well and when I woke, I couldn't go back to sleep. Even when I wan...