Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Busy Week

The last few days have had me getting a lot done. I went to the "class" for learning machine quilting on Friday. I worked on getting the binding done on the first quilt project. I still have half of the binding to do on it.

After I sewed on the binding, I pulled out the bag I haven't been working on for the past 4 months. It was one of those things that I kept looking at and thinking I need to do this, but then walked away, not wanting to do it just yet. So, with hubby gone, I sat down and sewed it up! It's now finished. Another UFO done! Yah Hoo!!  BUT then my sewing machine was making noise! I re-threaded it, changed the needle, shut if off and started up up again, and the noise was still there! Now what?!  I wanted to do some sewing! DANG!

On Monday, I "grandma sat" for friends. While I was there, I was able to get moving on the borders of Virginia's quilt top that she asked me to do - a year ago. I finally decided I would get it done. I called the sewing machine shop and was told to bring the sewing machine in. Since I couldn't use mine at Dian's house. She was nice enough to let me use her feather-weight sewing machine.

I was able to get a lot done! I was so thrilled.

I was able to put 2 1/2 borders on. I wish I could have finished it, but they came home sooner than I expected. I left the box over at their house, so I could finish it tomorrow.

This is the first border. I didn't get a photo of the other one.

Today, I went back to Quilter's Junction and decided to try machine quilting again. I found an old quilt top that I put together about 15-20 years ago. It was a "cheater's cloth" that I put a border on. I really like the patriotic theme, so I've kept it over the years. Always found better tops to hand quilt, so I decided this would work out great for machine quilting.

So, I pinned it in place, thought about what I wanted to do. - Not that hard - stars. I did hearts and stars "free" form.

I had fun - and don't look too close, it's not that good!

I did the stars on the edge, and the hearts and stars in the rest of the quilt.

I actually had fun, but I will say, it's not my favorite yet. Plus, I do get tired of sewing on the machine. I would rather hand quilt when it comes down to it. I do like knowing how to machine quilt, so I can be able to do that when I get in a "pinch."

I've got a big schedule the next three days! I'm at Dian's tomorrow, Tacoma's quilt show on Friday (for TAS), and Saturday back at Dian's. I'm looking forward to working the booth at the Tacoma quilt show! My hubby is back on Saturday, but probably won't see him till late that night. The benefit for Willie is on Saturday. He's being operated on tomorrow in Seattle, and I pray his cancer will be removed.

This week has not been good for friends of mine. I got a text today that another friend's father-in-law passed away today. Her mother-in-law has Alzheimer, and I wonder how that will work out now. Plus Dian's mother-in-law has Alzheimer, and it doesn't look good for her either. My prayers go out to both of them.

Yesterday I went down to my sewing table - that was cleaned off - and found my son's goodies on it!

Don't you just love it when family help pile things up on your table?!

Then I looked at my wall, and for the first time in awhile, I thought about getting back to finishing those two tops. Wonder if I will - but hey! I looked at it and thought about it.

So, hopefully tomorrow, I'll be working on the last border, putting on a binding, and Happy Quilting!!

Spending Time With Family

I couldn't post yesterday because it's too fresh. We put my father to rest yesterday. We had the full military honors for him. We ev...