Saturday, April 12, 2014

Found My Son's Quilt!

While looking for that pattern the other day (Thursday), I came across my son's quilt. It is over 20 years old! It was a quilt that I did through a chat site on the internet. Back then we would all log onto a chat site, hoping someone was on line, and chat about quilting. We put together a "Round Robin" - before Patricia Margaret and Donna Slusser's books came out!


After all the blocks came in, I put them into a small quilt for Phillip. 


I put the quilt together, and Phillip started to quilt it. He wanted to learn how to quilt, and I wasn't going to stop him. 


I pulled it out of the box today, and decided it was time to finish the quilt. 


I'm going to leave his quilting stitches in there. He was about 5-7 years old when I started quilting on this. He worked on it in my lap. I'm not sure why we quit quilting on it, but if I remember right, I would ask him and he would say "not today."

You can see his stitches here. 


The stitches are pretty good for a young boy!  I was so thrilled at the time when he wanted to do this. 


I decided it was such a nice day today, that I would get the swing set put together and sit out there and quilt. 


Couldn't resist the view! This is looking up from the deck. I just love seeing the clouds come in, and it reminded me of being young when we would lay on the ground, looking up to image what the clouds looked like.


I had so much fun taking photos!! (I did tell you I like taking photos)


After I got everything set up and found everything I needed to go out there to work on the quilt, Patrick decided we would go to my son's house to drop a few things off. I didn't tell my son that I found the quilt and was starting to quilt on it. 


I drew the water on the bottom section of the block. I also filled in the areas that didn't get done by Phil. 


I know this isn't the best photo, but took it anyway to show what I was doing. 

I bet your asking - "What about the Hawaiian quilt?" Well, it's too nice a day to have that heavy quilt on my lap. Talk about being HOT! So, I decided this morning that this quilt is smaller and easier to quilt on days like today - plus I can take it outside and quilt on it on the swing set. It's more portable than the Hawaiian. 

I did find that since it's been stored for 20 years and has been moved at least three times, it does has a slight smell to it. It's a smell that I end up having an allergic reaction to. So, I'm going to work on the quilt outside so the smell doesn't bother me too  much. I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to decide to finish the quilt. Guess I was hoping Phil would finish it himself. lol

Today I ordered a couple of needle threaders. I have one but I like the ones by Sewline that look like lipstick. I bought two - one for smaller needles and one for the bigger needles. It cost me enough! I remember when we could get needles and threaders for around $5. Not anymore! It cost me $32 for both of them - $14 each! It could have cost me more, but I looked around for the cheapest price. I'm also looking for the Hedgehog Needlepuller that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! So far, it looks like that is going to cost me $15 as well. UGH! I hate spending that much on one piece of "supplies." Good thing I'm doing survey's to make money to pay for some of this stuff!  The Hedgehog Needlepuller will just have to wait a little longer before I get one of those. 


With another day like today, I may get a lot of quilting in on Phil's quilt. I figured out I had used an off white quilting thread when he started quilting on the quilt. I have white in the house, so decided I would do it in white. That way one can tell who's quilting was where. As I worked on the quilt, I thought of how he would sit in my lap and we would quilt together. Those are good memories of my times with my son. 

I did get more done on the embroidery stems I was working on yesterday. I also started to applique the basket done on that block. I would like to have it done in the next couple weeks, but not holding my breath! - As you can see, I go from one thing to another and back again. I get bored with one thing and start on another. Plus, I'm trying to get some of these unfinished quilts done. I'm in progress of finishing a lot of them at this rate! I hope your better at getting UFO's done and are Happy Quilting!

No comments:

An Early Start

This morning, Patrick was up at 6 am. I followed around 6:25 am. lol We were ready and out the door by 7 am to get to Patrick's oncology...