Friday, January 23, 2015

Where Did The Time Go?

What a fast day! This after what my friend said the other day! She made the comment that we were not getting any younger, and we have about 10 to 20 good years left to finish all the things we want to do. Ugh! She actually made me feel old that day, and she's a year younger than me! I don't feel old, but I am and I know it. I just don't want to think of "time running out."

Today I did the usual of walking and cribbage. Then I came home and tried to get the fireplace lit. After a good half hour of trying, it finally lit up. Since it takes a little while to warm up downstairs, I took my shower and pulled out the butter in the freezer to sit. It needed to be at room temp for a recipe. I planned on making a cake for Patrick's Birthday this weekend. After all that, I went downstairs to see about quilting.


I checked out the quilt first to see if I knew what I was going to do.


I was on the middle section of the quilt. I remembered that I wasn't sure what I would do about quilting in that area. Today, it didn't seem to be hard to figure out what I would do. That made me feel better, and excited about getting it done.


I was working in this area, and I wanted to show how the person who pieced this (paper piecing) did by sewing the yellow with green thread. I was surprised she used green, because there is enough yellow here. I think that is part of the reason I wasn't in a big hurry to get this done. I was a little disappointed that they used thread to sew pieces together that make it look messy. I shouldn't feel that way, as it was a gift for my time a president of the guild.


I finished quilting this area. It went a lot faster than I expected. The flower is almost done. I did find an area that I hadn't quilted yet, and it looked good, but I was quilting around the petals and it looked like I needed to quilt there. I was trying to decide if I'm going to do it or not, and I probably will because it's too obvious if I don't.


This is how I quilted that area. I wanted to make it simple. The seams have a lot more fabric than 1/4", which makes it hard to quilt in those area. I don't think the seams were trimmed down, so with that much fabric, it's harder to get the stitches to be even. And in this case, a lot of the stitches are few and far between.


I was going to use a gold or dark yellow quilting thread for the flower lines but decided I didn't want two or more colors of quilting thread on this quilt. It's coming along. I need to remember to keep it "simple" so that it doesn't get too hard to quilt. Once the center piece is done, then it will go fast getting the rest of the quilt done. I forgot what design I was using on the border, so I will leave those alone, till I get the rest of it done. I can work on those after I get the quilt off the frame. I'm not sure what I will bind it with as I don't have the fabric from 13 years ago. I need to see what I can find that will work.

I called it quits with the quilt at about 1 pm, and started working on Patrick's cake. It was one that was in the magazine that my daughter sent to me. It's the Food Network magazine and boy! did it have recipes. Patrick found the chocolate cake and said he wanted that for his Birthday. Well that cake took me 4 hours to make! I had him finish it up when he got home so I could fix supper.

Charlie and I had a good day though, we enjoyed spending part of the day downstairs. I was surprised that I actually got to be Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Getting Back To My Sewing Room

This morning, I decided to get back to working on my quilting stuff.  First I needed to clear off my table top to make room for cutting. I t...