Sunday, December 10, 2023

Getting Quilts Ready To Be Quilted

 Some days I can figure a title, other days, not so much! I wish at times I was good at this. 

Today was pretty busy. Guess I can say part of that is my fault for waiting till the last minute! Like right now - I have backing in the wash and needs to be dried by tomorrow morning. 

I started out with getting my gifts wrapped for tomorrow. Then I wanted to cut the backing and batting for 4 quilts. I asked the church to do 2 of the quilts. Before I realized 2 of the quilts were too small! I got ahold of Kirsti to let her know. I'm having a hard time taking in quilts that are too small. We already have 4 quilts that are for wheelchair veterans. Trouble with that is that we don't know if they are wheelchair bound or not - until they arrive. Then we have to ask ourselves if he/she is in the wheelchair the whole time or part time. Gets to be a pain in my rear. 


So, I checked both of them and found I could add to this one. It's 66" x 57." We request quilts to be 60" x 80" so that they are all the same size. It makes thing easier. So, at 2 pm, I made the decision to add to this quilt. I'm going to make it clear at the next meeting (Thursday), that I'm going to refuse any quilt that isn't in our guidelines or even close to them. 

Next was trying to see what I had that would work with this quilt. 

I asked Kristi if she was okay with this red. Once that was ok'd, I got to work. Having to cut the fabric for the borders. 

Four hours later, I had it to 79" x 62" which is where I wanted it to be (except for the 79") After I did that, I thought it actually made the quilt after. I couldn't do the other quilt. She used 3 pieces of fabric. So, if I even tried to find something to go with it, one would know right off the bat and ask me what they (or I) were thinking. So, she's going to have to make it bigger. It's a panel piece of the flag and is on the side. Will be interesting to see when it's done. I know the blue stars go on top when hanging a flag, so need to keep that in mind when putting a label on. 

Then I had to get my stuff cut and ready to put in the crockpot tomorrow morning. I ended up prepping the ingredients for the artichoke dip. I want to add spinach and need to leave myself a message to pull that out of the freezer. 

At least I didn't feel sorry for myself today and got to work on stuff that needed to be done. I really can't say today was Happy Quilting/Happy Stitching!


No comments:

A Painful Day

This morning, we were woken up by a phone call. That was 8 am. I was hoping to sleep in today. Ron was calling to walk. He had Century Link ...