Friday, December 13, 2019

Old Routine VS New Routine in Retirement

Okay, I usually don't post this early in the morning on my blog. But this just couldn't be helped. I'm trying to deal with retirement (his) better but right now it's not working.

My old routine was when he would get up and go to work before 7:15 am. He was up at 6:30 am, showered, and out the door by 7:15 am. I would sleep a little while longer or just get up after he left. Most days I was up by 8 am - like this morning. No worries. I could sit and have breakfast, get laundry started and play a few games. Easy-peasy. Then my afternoons were usually working on projects or cleaning up around the house. Some days I was off to moms, quilting, or even embroidery. I enjoyed my days when I could "sorta" plan them. - Remember I quit planning after planning didn't work. That was nice. On weekends I would get up, go to the living room and sit in my chair waiting for Patrick to get up. He said he couldn't sleep in when I was doing stuff around the house because he hears everything (light sleeper). So, I resigned to just letting the weekend plan itself or knowing what Patrick planned for the day. He would sleep anywhere from 8-11 am on weekends. Not my favorite part of the weekends. He would shower and then I would wait to shower about 15-30 mins because the hot water needs to feel up. (He takes HOT showers).

Fast forward to Retirement. I was in weekend mode for about 2 weeks. My mornings were shot~! When he'd get up, and I'd get moving to get caught up for my day, half the day was gone. He told me over the years that I could still do what I wanted in the mornings and not worry about him sleeping....when I did....I'd hear this, "Couldn't get back to sleep with all the noise," bit. I TRIED to be quiet - nope. I TRIED to take my time picking things up so it wouldn't make noise - nope. So, I gave in. No noise was sitting in my chair waiting and playing.

So, after 3 weeks of weekend duty, I got up and showered. Then went to my chair to play. Didn't start laundry because he's not up yet. He gets up around 10:30 am and asked, "Why were you up so early? You usually don't shower when you get up," Yep, I do, just not when your around. I told him that was my routine. "Oh."

Today, I'm up, showered and now trying to be quiet. I decided on boiled eggs this morning, so I had to be careful on picking out a pan. He's still asleep. - OH! But I'm supposed to wake him around 9 am because he's going into work around 10 am to help with reports!

We talked about him going in to do that last night. Then he said, "how about we go to the movies when I get back in the afternoon." Ok. There goes that "plan" of - While he's gone I was going to work on the QOV quilt for a friends grandson.....nope. Going to try though.

Still not sure I'm going to like this retirement. I get maybe 2 hours of creative juices going and in the past it was 6-8 hours. Now what?! At least I can still be Happy Stitching/Happy Quilting!

No comments:

One Appointment After Another

This morning we were able to sleep in, but of course, I couldn't. I let Patrick sleep in though. Then I played on my games.  I received ...