Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Going To A Fabric Hoarder's Garage Sale

This morning I worked on my beading and laundry. Then I went to moms to meet up with some of our QOV group quilters.

We then headed over to the place one of our members told us about. We arrived at the house, and was directed to the garage. We arrived to find a garage FULL of boxes, fabric, containers, etc., that were full of STUFF. She had stamps, fabric, knitting, and just about everything you can think of. Her husband was selling her STUFF because she passed away a while ago. His daughters were there to "help." I have a feeling one of them is a hoarder too. When I say "hoarder," I mean this garage was floor to ceiling of stuff. He then told me there was another garage full of more "stuff." Mostly wool and fleece fabrics. OH! And then there was the sewing room "you can't get into because there isn't any room to get in there." The sewing room was off limits, but we stayed in the garage. We were given a plastic bag like what you get at Safeway. He said, "fill this as full as you can for $25." I thought at first that wasn't a good deal, till I filled the bag with as many of the red, white, and blue fabric I could find. There were only small pieces but I can work with them. Of 5 of us, 2 didn't buy anything. So, we BARELY put a dent in what they had. I stuck to my guns and only got the red, white and blue fabrics.

Got home around 3:30 pm. Had supper and then sat down to work on my cross stitching.


I was able to get more done. I'm really happy with this. I need to get some more outlining done and then I will try to roll it again. The colors are coming out pretty good. I do have a lot going.

It was weird, while I was there at the garage, I was shocked and overwhelmed. I didn't know were to start. I was more shocked to find someone who hoarded the fabric the way she did. I understand she made wedding dress and did a lot of sewing, but at the same time, it was just way too much. I was told her husband was offered $7,000 for all of her supply. He turned him down. I would have jumped at that if it was me. It would save me the time and organizing, let alone selling it. All that time and work would be worth the money! He's not going to get a lot, but he will get some. He has to get all that stuff out for people to look at if he's going to have a garage sale. So far he's had quilters and other ladies come out and pick through the stuff and buying it by the bag. Way too much work.

At least my day was a good day of Happy Stitching/Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Spending The Morning At Moms

This morning, I didn't sleep well. So, I was up and ready to go. I got a few things done before heading to moms. It's quilting Frida...