Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Visit From Mom

 Today I was happy to be able to have the day to myself. I slept in. Then mom called to see what I was doing today. Told her I was getting laundry going and cleaning up a bit, other than that I wasn't doing much, "Why?" She said she wanted to do something different, and could she come over after she gets her nails done. That didn't bother me, so I said, "Sounds good."

While I was waiting for mom to call back after her nails, Victoria, who is a family member, called. She wanted to tell me about her adoption by Margie. This is the MATHESON family. As I figured out, she is not related to mom. She's the daughter of Orville's wife, who had an affair with someone else while he was serving in WWII. He was due home around the time Victoria was born. Her mother kept her in a closet and tried to kill her with a pillow when Margie came in the room. Margie took Victoria (1946) and adopted her. Not sure how that worked because we haven't been able to find a birth certificate. Long story short, she's not mom's relative but a step. We chatted for a while. 

Then I vacuumed because it needed it. By the time I was done, mom arrived. She picked up a sandwich from Subway. So, we sat and chatted. I learned more about her upbringing and her mother. It was interesting. We both wondered why grandmother wouldn't go back to Kansas. Granddad wanted to go back to Kansas to be with his family. Grandmother didn't seem to be a family type of person. So, even though he went back there to work, she would not go with him. That made him come back. Mom said she thought grandmother threated to keep her to make grandfather stay. Hard to say. It was interesting. We talked about how my brother Patrick was her favorite. We all knew that. Mom couldn't figure that one out either. 

After lunch we sat in the living room and chatted more. She worked on the applique stars, and I worked on my beading. 

While she worked on her stars, I worked on my panels. I finished the panel from yesterday and worked on the last set of panels. The red is the last one. The bottom of the dress doesn't show like the others, but it's because of the reds. I should have made them a little more different than they are. They are close to the same shade of color. I have one more to do and then it's finished. 

Tomorrow is a trip to Tacoma. Not sure how that will turn out. If all goes well, I will post why I had to go up there. Think good thought! lol 

I really enjoyed my day with my mother. Sometimes that's rare, but I really did enjoy her visit and told her she needs to do that more often. With her here and me stitching, it turned out to be a day of Happy Stitching/Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Mom Turned 89 Today

 This morning, I was expecting mom to come over to do her laundry because of the machine being broke. I waited. Then I walked with Ron, and ...